Monday, March 9, 2015

J is for Joy

Initial J
The word I selected for "J" might seem strange, considering other possible choices. Life changes for the better if we find something for which we are grateful every day. Focusing on what brings us joy can also have similar far-reaching effects.

Joy is a state of mind, a way of life, and an inner peace. In the hectic day-to-day pace of job and family life, we need to take time to find those things which make us joyful. I am not suggesting a state of euphoria (although some things might just fill our hearts to overflowing), but instead, look for those things which cause you to stop and appreciate the good. It doesn't have to be large or even noticeable to anyone but you.

seagullFor instance, I inherited the love of birdwatching from my parents. As I crossed a large parking lot recently, I heard a gull screaming nonstop. I located him atop a tall lamppost and the closest I could figure was this bird was annoyed that I was walking near a discarded bag of French fries. I stopped to stare, giggled aloud, and launched into a human-to-bird conversation. Three other people joined me and the fun was infectious. It was a positively silly and spontaneous moment which brought joy. I smiled all the way through the store and was still smiling as I pulled into the garage when I got home. (The French fries were gone, by the way.)

Juggling isn't easy in the virtual world either. You are expected to make choices daily for students and your teaching. Sometimes a decision is second-guessed and you end up feeling you have let someone down. Remember not to be too hard on yourself. Give yourself the same understanding you would give others.

Judgment is called for in teaching and with it comes the need for fairness. You monitor your curricular area, determine what lessons need emphasis, and respond to student needs. Do you spend more time on email and grading, or making one-to-one contact with students? And once you choose, how long do you spend on each? What determines those choices? And do you get annoyed when something interferes with your plan for the day? Consider, however, it might be just that interruption that brings joy to your day!

Jeweled Jell-o
Jell-O is an underrated dessert option. Many people equate it with hospitals. I actually have the "Joy of Jell-O" cookbook somewhere and one of these days, I will master the Jeweled Jell-O Surprise. This particular shimmery confection comes to mind when thinking about the elusiveness of some students, colleagues, and deadlines. It is hard to pin people and things down and yet, just like in all the work world, we need to make sure the expectations are clearly defined and students understand that responsibility is learned from consistent practice. And just like this particular culinary creation, what a joy when all the diverse expectations come together.

Just as I encourage you to find Joy in the midst of juggling, I also insist you spend some time each day doing something just for you so you will recognize the joy when it comes. If you are too tired or stressed, you could easily miss it altogether.

blue arrow

Reflection: Do two things each day--something unexpected which makes you smile and something spontaneous which cheers someone else. What did you do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment