Thursday, March 19, 2015

R is for Renewal

Initial R
I love the freedom of researching the availability of books via the county's online library site, then requesting they be delivered to my local branch. When the email arrives to say they are in, I stop by and the first thing I ask as I check them out: "Is this renewable?" I have learned I rarely complete a book quickly with life's responsibilities and I want to make sure I won't be caught in the middle of a story.

Reading is an activity that brings renewal into my life. Is it the same definition when we talk of renewal and commitment? Is it the daily resolve to continue, to complete, to improve? To me, the meanings are similar and it allows me to wake up every day with a "do over" voucher. Maybe yesterday we just couldn't answer any more email, couldn't return messages, and the grading never did get to a good stopping place. We are in trouble if we let each day tug us further down rather than renewing our commitment to do the best job we possibly can. More often than not, stepping away lets us step back in later with renewed strength and clarity of vision. No matter how small the breaks we take, if these are "me" focused, they improve our chances for renewed commitment.
large open book

I am a fast reader, but need to set aside the time to read. I know this and yet, I feel guilty when I step away from my computer screen during a project to finish another chapter of the current Patterson mystery begging for my attention. Admittedly, we all need time to refocus or rejuvenate in whatever way works best and we need to acknowledge and support that need for others.

Students need that relax and do-over ticket as well. Everyone is entitled to line up for the precious, under-utilized, renewal elixir. We ask students to step into ever greater responsibilities at each stage of their education and at the same time, we forget to open the door to personal renewal time for them at the same time. It is part of the balance of life they need to learn whether sixteen or twenty-something.

I advocate being careful to not let pessimism take over your thinking. Not every student attempts to deceive, to shortcut work, or procrastinate, any more than a teacher does. Some try it a few times but that sound you hear is the door opening for a conversation (not a lecture) between instructor and student about making better decisions concerning use of time. Repeated procrastination patterns open the door even wider and demand another conference to initiate a plan for improvement. In all instances, however, be reminded of the importance of your permission to the student to make corrections without repercussions. The teacher has a large role to play in teaching a student balance and it is something we need to constantly practice ourselves.

blue arrow

Reflection: There are choices to be made when a student is a repeat offender for late or incomplete assignments. Every missed assignment is an open door for growth. Make a decision to not dismiss or stereotype a student's actions. Rather, plan now for how a successful conversation might play out. Use this same approach for uncleaned bedrooms and family chores going undone. Switch up the expectations and watch the changes happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment