Sunday, January 11, 2015

Too Little Time?

"Time, time, time, see what's become of me, While I looked around, For my possibilities..."  (Thanks, Simon and Garfunkel.)

I work more hours of the day and week than I ever rest. I spend more time staring at a computer screen than I do my backyard gardens, my grandchildren's faces, or the pages of a favorite magazine. So, can the argument really be made that we have no time to slow down and finger the pages of a good book? I don't know. I can forget about my personal space and choices and feel I am only worthwhile if I am moving in triple time--constantly doing, doing, doing. It can't be good for anyone to see those things they might want to accomplish in life sitting undone.
It isn't a good example for our students either. How can they learn "down time" and stress relief and balanced choices if they are witnessing teachers, parents, significant others always on the move. Trite, I know, but it isn't quantity but quality.

hourglass graphicDiscussion on the pros and cons of the reading and search capabilities of the Internet, and the implications of general computer use have given way to a renewed belief I don't need to do everything in the shortest amount of time. I have written some exhaustively comprehensive academic research papers in my time, worthy of the "A" I received. My "A" papers today will look different perhaps, having more far-reaching references than I could have found in years past. But will the "doing" of the search be as satisfying? Will the discovery and conclusions be as profoundly rewarding?

If I take my time. Yes, if I take my time. No, if I make the time via priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment