Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Two- or Three-Dimensional

The Internet allows us - any of us - to just have a conversation. Oh, at times, even picking up the phone seems a tiring thought, but poking out letters on a keyboard or phone and sending them off satisfies the need to communicate. It occurs to me, though, are we at risk of the younger generation never learning interpersonal skills? After all, if they mainly accept what they see and hear on the Internet as true, and rarely need to read body language, facial expressions, or tone of voice, a new two dimensional interaction occurs..

pile of written journalsI don't want to be two dimensional; neither do I want my children and grandchildren to be. I admit, I have been known to hide behind the computer screen, but I am older, have spent a lifetime connecting. It's okay to step back. I can associate a tone with a grimace or a smile. But will that
become a lost art? Is this underscored by the number of people who sit across from one another texting messages back and forth? Same table, same room – no live conversation.

I believe one of the strengths an online teacher can develop is his or her voice in emails and online. I would suspect if you asked any staff with whom I have worked to read a page of anonymous emails, they could pick out mine easily. Granted, I am a writer in spirit and practice, but I rarely just write. Instead, I truly believe I communicate on many levels. If we are going to stay online more and more, and web pictures are the best we can do, we need to spend time putting ourselves in the written word. Writing skills need to be improved, not snipped and torn and forgotten.

Decades and centuries from now, when those who come after us examine our artifacts, I wonder if what they see in our language will convince them we progressed...or regressed. Calligraphy, handwriting, fountain pens, icons, avatars, text talking.......food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment