Monday, January 5, 2015

Revisiting the Teaming Concept

team hands joinedAnother reflection on working in teams should make it obvious it is an ongoing focus for me. Graduate students recently responded to a poll regarding whether grades should be dependent on all members of a group, or even if a group works together, each member should be awarded their own grade. In the past I have always fallen on the side of separate grades. Actually, I think I am a fairly
responsive and responsible group member and have often served as a team leader, but I also know I have had some difficult experiences in my post graduate work over the years where not all team members performed and those of us who did had one of two choices: do the work to cover up the inequity or accept everyone receiving a lower grade. It was never made clear what we were to do if someone failed to contribute but it was made clear that nothing would prevent us all from getting the same grade. That elementary school fear of not wanting to be seen as a tattletale reared its juvenile head. (I swear the slackers played on that fear too). Little effort was given to making sure everyone understood the roles, the responsibilities, and the outcomes. (Can I shout “team training” yet again?)

I have never had anything against sharing the learning, sharing the work, and sharing the outcomes. I do, however, struggle with punitive action for a weak team member or two, especially when we don't have the same type of power we might have in walking down the hall and prodding a colleague to get the job done. Frankly, it is just easier for someone to disregard pleadings online. The email went to the spam folder, the computer ate my submission, or “what do you mean I didn’t do it? I sent it to you!” Oh, the guilt.

Fortunately, having received training in team work and a series of positive experiences has me firmly on the side of teamwork. If I am to best serve in my areas of strength, I need to not only understand the process, but trust in the strength and durability of it. When we are separated by miles and continents, languages and individual responsibilities, the alternative is chaos with little understanding and productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment