Sunday, January 4, 2015

By Degrees

campus picture CSUEB
California State University, East Bay
Finally achieving my Master’s degree as an older adult was an incredibly exciting and fulfilling experience. I would not have chosen an online program degree in my youth, but would have taken an expected, on-campus degree as an offshoot of my passion for English and writing. My choice underscored my love for learning both on and about this online world. The discipline of course work especially when it was targeted at virtual teaching and education was exactly what I needed to open doors to deeper understanding and diverse pathways.

I have taken many courses in my career to remain certified as a teacher, and although any of them could have evolved into a fine Master’s program, this degree in Online Teaching and Learning goes to the heart of what I am most passionate about at this point in my life and career. We just should never stop searching and learning because our best ability might still be around the next corner, fueled by an unexpected conversation or a colleague’s recommendation or even a random job posting in the sidebar of an often-visited website. Really, it’s not the destination but the journey. Agreed?

No comments:

Post a Comment