Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Origin of Pottermom

Gingerbread House Studios, circa 1957
Someone asked me why the name Pottermom. It's rooted in the generational art handed down from my mother, Margaret Leister. I grew up in a home that revolved around a pottery studio named the Gingerbread House in Trappe, Pennsylvania. Each day my mother would retreat to her clays and glazes while I sat on a stool and had free rein over every other manner of art supplies.

I never learned to throw pottery (the term for creating on a wheel), though, despite the availability. She kept that for herself. So, as an adult, I decided it was a skill I wanted to explore and spent three years working in the studios of the Toledo Museum of Art. The process clicked and I replicated Pennsylvania Dutch folk patterns from my mother in honor of her legacy. Setting up a small studio for myself is an unfulfilled bucket list item, but learning her craft, experiencing the personal centering she must have felt as she created beautiful things from a lump of clay have all made a profound difference in my life.

From this has come "Pottermom." She didn't live to share this as she passed away unexpectedly in 1984, but I am sure she knows.
PA Dutch Folk patterns, MLeister, circa 2003
Distilfink pattern, MLeister, circa 2003








No comments:

Post a Comment