Monday, January 12, 2015

The Wisdom of Baby Steps

Technology is changing by the minute and even though I feel closer to that evolution than many educators by virtue of my decade and a half in virtual education, I can still experience a degree of sadness at how the good old days of education were just fine, supporting the likes of presidents and doctors and librarians and bus drivers...and me. So sayeth Maryalice as I write about this via a 21st Century blog on a cutting edge computer and blogsite.

baby feetDon't misunderstand: You won't catch me pining away for the "good old days" because some of those days sure had bumpy spots, but I also advise caution in moving forward at a breakneck speed. Advancement deserves - no, mandates - caution. Too much too fast and too soon will only end badly.


I worked in the virtual K through 12 teaching world and while at times, the changes we determined were needed in terms of systems and policies took forever, advancement decisions and the attendant processes begged to be based on feedback and sound practices. I do believe that approach will guarantee greater success over the long view than rushing pell-mell ahead. We have already seen the results of rash decisions in the virtual schools that have closed. It is too easy to grab onto every new technology flying by, only to then react later to destroyed potential and setbacks. Better we take those baby steps (thanks, Bill Murray) towards solid success.

2 comments: