Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Not as Simple as It Seems

notebook, pen, keyboard
I am considering the variations in approach and expectations an instructor has when teaching a community education enrichment course versus an undergraduate or graduate course. I have taken a few community education courses online and I finished most, but did walk away from a few which were poorly written and which failed to engage my interest. I took them several years ago and would suspect those courses are better written now than they were then. But I guess it is important for educators to realize that just because we write it, it doesn't mean people will attend.

So, what is the catch? Or maybe the better word is, where's the hook? I have written several online creative writing courses to test various learning management systems and platforms. I believe the people who would attend are only those who like to write and want to improve, especially if the course's objectives are clearly related to locating interested students to enroll. But then I believe keeping students in the course and engaged would be directly connected to my efficiency as instructor and the controlled spontaneity and connection with fellow students.

It is evident there is more to a course than deciding to offer content in which you are schooled and which you enjoy. All of the important guidelines for designing courses worthy of their content are true no matter the reason or the audience. While an intricate process with many points to consider, I am enjoying the challenge of creating written content. For me, another way to hook people with the written word.

No comments:

Post a Comment